Dr Luis de Miranda
UK Phone (m): +447982851499
PhD institution: The University of Edinburgh
Citizenship: European (French and Portuguese).
- July 2017 | Doctor of Philosophy, The University of Edinburgh, UK.: ‘Esprit de Corps: Birth and Evolution of a Polemical Notion’. External Examiner Prof. Richard Whatmore (St Andrews).
- 2014–2017 | Initiator and Manager of the Crag Research Group and the Anthrobotics Cluster at The University of Edinburgh. Organized 3 international conferences and workshops, and several seminars/reading groups.
- 2014–2017 | Tutor and Lecturer, The University of Edinburgh, and KTH University Sweden.
- 2017–2019 | Main Editor of a volume on AI and Robotics (UK publisher, several translations programmed).
Degrees and Recognitions
- 2017 | PhD (successful viva in June 2017), The University of Edinburgh.
- 2016 | Certificate with Honours, Summer School in The Regulations of Robotics in Europe: Legal, Ethical and Economic implications, School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- 2016 | First Prize in the 3-Minute-Thesis Competition of the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures at the University of Edinburgh.
- 2015 | Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, HEA, UK.
- 2007 | Master 2 in modern and contemporary Philosophy, Paris I–Sorbonne, Paris, France. Dissertation published as a book in French and translated as a peer-reviewed article in English (see below).
- 2003 | Master 1 in Philosophy, Paris I–Sorbonne. Dissertation published as a book in French (see below).
- 1994 | Master of Economics and Business Administration, HEC–Paris (‘Best business school in Europe’, Financial Times), Jouy-en-Josas, France.
Recent Research Awards
- 2014–2017 | The university of Edinburgh Research Scholarship Award (£26,000/year for 3 years).
- 2015–2017 | The University of Edinburgh Researcher-Led initiative fund (twice awarded — £3400).
- 2016–2017 | Support for Eidyn philosophy research centre (£400).
- 2015–2017 | UK French Institute Sponsorships (£1000).
- 2014–17 | DELC Initiative awards, University of Edinburgh (£1500).
- 2014–2016 | The LLC Student-Led Initiative Fund, The University of Edinburgh (£800).
- 2017 | ‘Science goes Fiction’ Course, Self-designed lecture in history and philosophy of technology, KTH University, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2016–2017 | Lectures on French thought and literature, the University of Edinburgh.
- 2014–2016 | Tutor in French culture and literature, French language courses, Undergraduates year 2 and 4, The University of Edinburgh.
- 2015 | Creative Writing, Ethics and French Philosophy Courses (in English), Oxbridge Academic Program, Paris, France.
- 2015 | Associate Fellowship Accreditation, UK Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- 2014 | Creative Thinking Course, École Media Art, Châlon-sur-Saône, France.
- 2012–2014 | Founder and manager of Haute Culture Books, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2004–2012 | Editorial director, book editor, strategic adviser, and co-owner, Max Milo Editions, Paris, France.
- 1997–2003 | International Cultural reporter, book critic, journalist. Interviews of José Saramago (Nobel Prize), Pierre Bourdieu, Joyce Carol Oates, Michel Serres, Jim Harrison, Jonathan Franzen, Jonathan Coe, etc.
- 1996–2012 | Author of 13 published novels and essays.
- 2004–2014 | Author and director of educational short videos, including Nietzsche and Jesus: Interview (+40,000 views on YouTube).
Peer-Reviewed Articles or Chapters
- 2018 (peer-review in progress) | ‘Big Data, Small Concepts: Histosophy as an Approach to Longue-Durée History’, Global Intellectual History.
- 2018 (peer-review in progress) | ‘”This National Esprit de Corps”: A Short Deconstruction of a Reappearing Spirit’, International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society.
- 2017 (Oct.) | ‘On the Concept of Creal: Ethical Promises of a Non-Teleological Creative Universal’, chapter in The Dark Precursor: Deleuze and Artistic Research, Orpheus Institute Series, Leuven University Press.
- 2016 | ‘We, Anthrobot: Learning from Human forms of Interaction and Esprit de Corps to Develop More Diverse Social Robotics’, chapter in What Social Robots Can and Should Do, IOS Press.
- 2016 | ‘Life is Strange and “Games are Made”: A Philosophical Interpretation of a Multiple-Choice Existential Simulator’, Games and Culture.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de Corps and the French Revolutionary Crisis: A Prehistory of the Concept of Solidarity’, Forschungsportal, the University of Vienna.
- 2013 | ‘Is a new life possible? Deleuze and the lines’, Deleuze Studies.
Books as Principal Editor and Introductions
- 2017–2019 | AI and Robotics, consulting editor and co-author, international outreach project with Quarto Books/Ivy Press, translated into 30 languages.
- 2012 | ‘A Thousand Years of Fluoritude’, introduction of Néon, Le néon dans l’art des années 1940 à nos jours, Archibooks. Catalogue of an international exhibition on neon art. Translated into English and Italian.
Authored publications | Books
- 2017–2019 | work-in-progress: What will distinguish us from robots? (Essay).
- 2017–2019 | Thesis under offer for publication with an academic press.
- 2012 | L’être et le néon (a cultural, intellectual and philosophical history of neon signs), Max Milo, Paris, France. Currently in translation (English).
- 2010 | L’art d’être libres au temps des automates (a cultural, intellectual, and philosophical history of digital machines and computers), Max Milo, France.
- 2008 | Une vie nouvelle est-elle possible? Deleuze et les lignes, Nous, Caen, France (originally Master 2’s dissertation). Translated into English as Is a New Life Possible? Deleuze Studies, Edinburgh University Press, 2013.
- 2007 | Peut-on jouir du capitalisme ? Lacan avec Marx et Heidegger (philosophical and political essay on Lacan and capitalism), Punctum, Paris, France. Reedition by Max Milo in 2008.
- 2003 | Ego trip, ou La Société des artistes sans oeuvre (philosophical and cultural essay on identity and digital narcissism), Max Milo, France. Reedition in paperback by J’ai Lu.
Authored publications | Books
- 2011 | Qui a tué le poète? (a novella), Max Milo, France. Translated into Turkish (Galata Editions, 2012), and English (Who Killed the Poet, Snuggly Books, USA, 2017). Currently being translated into Hindi, Italian, Swedish, Korean, etc.
- 2008 | Paridaiza (novel), Plon, Paris, France. Currently in translation (English).
- 2002 | Moment magnétique de l’aimant (a novella), La Chasse au Snark, Paris, France.
- 2001 | A vide (novel), Denoël, Paris, France.
- 2000 | Le Spray, (novella), Calmann-Lévy, Paris, France
- 1998 | La Mémoire de Ruben (novella), Gamma Press, Belgium. Translated into Arabic, (Walidoff Editions, Tunisia, 2010).
- 1997 | Joie (novel), Le Temps des Cerises, Paris, France.
Invited Talks and Master Classes
- 2017 | Anthrobotics, KTH University, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2017 | Anthrobotics, Örebro University, Örebro, Sweden.
- 2016 | Anthrobotics, University of Skövde, Sweden.
- 2016 | Public Engagement presentation, PhD related: ‘All for One, but Which One?’, Just Festival, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2015 | Public Engagement presentation: ‘A Cultural History of Neon Signs’, Explorathon, Edinburgh, UK.
- 2015 | ‘What is crealism?’, Oxbridge Academic Program, Paris, France.
- 2014 | Master class on creative writing, Stockholm University, Sweden.
- 2014 | Master class on creative thinking, Ecole Media Art, Châlon-sur-Saône, France.
- 2012 | Creative Writing Master class, Clandestino Institut, Göteborg, Sweden.
- 2012 | ‘L’être et le néon’, interdisciplinary public presentation, Institut de Physique du Globe, Nuit des Savoirs, Nuit Blanche, Paris, France.
- 2012 | ‘L’Être et le néon’, public Seminar, Café des Fous, Paris, France.
- 2011 | ‘Avez-vous le sens des créalités?’, University of Lille, France.
- 2010 | ‘What is crealism?’ University of Reykjavik, Iceland.
- 2008 | Guest of Honour, French literature Symposium, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Conferences or Workshops Organised
- 2017 | We, Anthrobot, International Workshop at The University of Edinburgh, sponsored by Eidyn, Crag Research Group, LLC, School of informatics, The School of Philosophy, Oxford Human Centred Computing Group, French Institute UK.
- 2016–2017 | Anthrobotics Seminar and interdisciplinary reading group, The University of Edinburgh.
- 2016 | 60 Years of Essentially Contested Concepts at The University of Edinburgh, sponsored by Eidyn, The School of Philosophy, Crag Research Group, the Centre for The Study of Modern Conflict.
- 2015 | Creation of Reality, International Conference | The Crag Research Group, The University of Edinburgh, sponsored by Institute of Academic Development.
- 2015–2017 | Crag Interdisciplinary Seminar, University of Edinburgh, UK.
- 2012 | ‘L’être et le néon’, Multimedia public conference, Institut de Physique du Globe, Nuit des Savoirs/Nuit Blanche, Paris, France.
Selected Conference Presentations
- 2017 | ‘Anthrobotic Intelligence as a Response to Artificial Intelligence’, Nordic Science and Technology Studies Conference, University of Göteborg, Sweden.
- 2017 | ‘Anthrobots or Worldformers? The agency to come’, SFS conference, Durham University, UK.
- 2016 | ‘We, Anthrobot: Learning from Human forms of Interaction and Esprit de Corps to Develop More Diverse Social Robotics’, Robophilosophy Conference, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de Corps: The Secret of Collective Action’, How to Act Together, Institute for Philosophy and Social Theory, University of Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2015 | ‘On the Concept of Creal: Ethical Promises of a Non-Teleological Creative Universal’ | Dare 2015, Orpheus Institute, University of Ghent, Belgium.
- 2015 | ‘Out of Focus: Sartrean Existentialism Through the Lens of the Videogame Life is Strange’, University of Newcastle, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Towards a New Frontier of the Self? A Genealogy of Esprit de Corps’ Society for European Philosophy, University of Dundee, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Can Esprit de Corps Recreate Our Lives?’, Deleuze Studies International Conference, Konstfack University College, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2015 | ‘Digital History as methodology’, SSFH Conference, University of St Andrews, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de corps: a universal anti-universalistic concept’, Cultural Literacy in Europe Conference, University of Birkbeck, UK.
- 2015 | ‘Esprit de corps: A Prehistory of the notion of Solidarity’, Graceh Conference, University of Vienna, Austria.
- 2015 | ‘One for all, all for the Nation: the 18th century French invention of ‘esprit de corps’ and its propagation into the English language’, British Society For Eighteenth-Century Studies Conference, Oxford University, UK.
- 2012 | ‘Numérisme et créalisme: la dialectique du siècle à venir?’, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris, France.
- 2012 | ‘Les creations de réalités’, Colloque Frontières, Université de Pau, France.
- 2011 | ‘The crealist mode of power’, University of Toronto, Canada.
Selected Interviews and Press Articles
- 2017 | ‘We need to talk about Wall-E’, about Luis de Miranda and his anthrobotics cluster at the University of Edinburgh, in the UK Times (Scottish Edition).
- 2017 | Open letter to the French president on culture and education published by the mainstream French newspaper Libération.
- 2010–16 | Interviews of Luis de Miranda in The Oxford Philosopher, Futurism, Robohub, Pantheon-Sorbonne Magazine, France Culture, Dark Zero, Digitally Downloaded, Atlantico, Typographical Era, Open Democracy, La Tribune, BFM…
- 2008–2011 | Opinion pieces in mainstream French newspapers such as Le Monde and Libération.
Skills, Languages, Hobbies.
- Conversance with Digital Humanities.
- Fluent languages (writing and speaking): French, English, Portuguese.
- Comprehensive and communicational skills in Swedish, Spanish, Italian. Basic German, Latin and some Ancient Greek.
- Classically trained as a musician (violin), and self-taught (piano, guitar).
- Walks in forests.
- Father of Svea (born 2012).